Faraday Institute Newsletter No. 96 - January 2014
1. Faraday course in January
2. Madingley course
3. Faraday public lecture
4. Faraday seminars
5. Faraday course in April
6. Faraday publications
7. Smartphone app
1. The New Year will begin with two Faraday courses aimed at different sectors of the community. From 13th-15th January 2014 we will be running our annual course for the Cambridge Theological Federation. The course is a general introduction to science and faith in the context of parish life and is aimed at those studying for, or engaged in, Christian ministry. For details see the Faraday website.
2. On the weekend of 24th-26th January The Faraday Institute is joining with the University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education to run a course entitled 'Science and Christianity'. The course is part of the on-going programme of events run by ICE and will take place at Madingley Hall, Cambridge. Full details can be found on the ICE website (http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/).
3. The next termly Faraday Public Lecture entitled 'Does the Universe Need God?' will be given by Hans Halvorson, Professor of Philosophy at Princeton University, on Wednesday 29th January at 17.30 in the Queen's Lecture Theatre, Emmanuel College
4. Faraday seminars will recommence this term on Tuesday 21st January when the speaker, Prof. Susan Kimber of the University of Manchester, will talk on the topic 'Stem cells and healing: reflection on the ethics of using human embryonic stem cells.'
5. From 4th-6th April The Faraday Institute will be holding a short course, 'Philosophy, science and faith', at Christ’s College, Cambridge. Speakers include: Prof. Keith Ward, Prof. Roger Trigg, Dr Fern Elsdon-Baker, Dr Lydia Jaeger, Prof. Tom O’Connor, Dr Mark Vernon. For more details and to apply see:
6. The latest Faraday publications Living Lightly, Living Faithfully and Big Bang, Big God: A Universe Designed for Life? are available from the Faraday on-line shop (www.faraday.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/Shop.php?Mode=Books). The former for £7 (hardcopy) or for free in an electronic version; the latter for £6 (RRP is £8.99). Test of FAITH: Science and Religion Meet, the secondary school teachers' book (with DVD), is still on sale for £7 at bit.ly/1b4D1pi.
7. The Faraday Institute’s smartphone app for the Android platform app can be found in the Google Play store at:
The iPhone version of the app can be found in iTunes online at:
Bob White Meric Srokosz
[Director] [Associate Director]