Skip navigation to content

About the Faraday logo

Faraday Institute Logo

The outer hexagonal shape of the framework represents bicarburet of hydrogen which Faraday discovered and purified in 1825. (The chemical was renamed benzene by Eilhard Mitscherlich in 1833 and its structure solved by Kekulé about 30 years later.)

The inner circle with the gap at the top represents the experimental apparatus with which Faraday discovered the magneto-optical effect following the 1845 meeting of the British Association in Cambridge.

The globe is intended to represent the many peoples and religions which it is hoped will be attracted to the Institute.

A picture of this apparatus may be found towards the end of the Royal Institution's Faraday page at http://www.rigb.org/rimain/heritage/faradaypage.jsp.

The logo was designed by Dr Ed Munn whose art work, OneLinerImages may be seen at www.OneLinerImages.co.uk. 'OneLinerImages' are hand-drawn representations of living things (plants and animals in particular) intended to show first, the paradoxical situation in which in order to exist, individuals must be separated from their environment, but yet are interactive with and wholly dependent on it; secondly to draw attention to the intricate internal beauty of living cells and thirdly, the interactions between individuals essential for the survival of populations.