Meric Srokosz is professor of physical oceanography at the National Oceanography Centre (NOC), Southampton (www.noc.ac.uk) and a former Associate Director of the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion (2012-2015). He obtained a Ph.D. in applied mathematics from Bristol University in 1980 on theoretical modelling of wave power devices. He subsequently worked at the Institute of Oceanographic Sciences, studying breaking waves. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he spent some time with the British National Space Centre, working on remote sensing of the oceans. Since 1997 he has been based at NOC in Southampton and works on biological-physical interactions in the upper ocean (observations and modelling), remote sensing of the oceans, and waves. He has a particular interest in the Agulhas and Madagascar current system. In 2001 he became the Science Coordinator for the NERC Rapid Climate Change programme (www.rapid.ac.uk), which focuses on studying the role of the North Atlantic in possible future rapid changes in the climate. In 2005 he gained a B.A. in theology.
Meric Srokosz is a member and trustee of Christians in Science (CiS), and a member of the committee of the local CiS group based in Southampton.
Recent selected science publications
- Guirey E., Bees M., Martin A.P. and Srokosz M.A. 2010 Persistence of cluster synchronisation under the influence of advection, Phys. Rev. E., 81, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevE.81.051902.
- Pidcock R., Srokosz M., Allen J., Hartman M., Painter S., Mowlem M., Hydes D. and Martin A. 2010 A Novel Integration of an Ultra-Violet Nitrate Sensor On-Board A Towed Vehicle for Mapping Open Ocean Submesoscale Nitrate Variability, J. Atmos. Oceanic. Tech., 27, 1410-1416.
- Pascal R.W., Yelland M.J., Srokosz M.A., Moat B.I., Waugh E.M., Comben D.H., Cansdale A.G., Hartman M.C., Coles D.G.H., Huseh P.C. and Leighton T.G. 2011 A spar buoy for high frequency measurements and detection of wave breaking in the open ocean, J. Atmos. Oceanic Tech., 28, 590-605.
- Good P., Caesar J., Bernie D., Lowe J.A., van der Linden P., Gosling S.N., Warren R., Arnell N.W., Smith S., Bamber J., Payne T., Laxon S., Srokosz M., Sitch S., Gedney N., Harris G., Hewitt H., Jackson L., Jones C.D., O’Connor F., Ridley J., Vellinga M., Halloran P., McNeall D. 2011 A review of recent developments in climate change science. Part I: understanding of future change in the large-scale climate system, Prog. Physical Geog., 35, 281-296.
- Harmon N., Henstock T., Srokosz M., Tilmann F., Rietbrock A. and Barton P. 2012 Infragravity wave source regions determined from ambient noise correlations, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L04604, doi:10.1029/2011GL050414.
- Srokosz M., Barringer M., Bryden H., Cunningham S., Delworth T., Lozier S., Marotzke J. & Sutton R. 2012 Past, present and future change in the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 93, 1663-1676.
- Srokosz M. & Quartly G. 2013 The Madagascar Bloom: a serendipitous study, J. Geophys. Res., 118, 14-25.
- Tzortzi E., Josey S.A., Srokosz M. & Gommenginger C. 2013 Tropical Atlantic salinity variability: new insights from SMOS, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 2143-2147.
- Robinson J., Popova E.E., Yool A., Srokosz M., Lampitt R.S. & Blundell J.R. 2014 How deep is deep enough? Ocean iron fertilisation and carbon sequestration in the Southern Ocean, Geophys. Res. Lett., 41, 2489-2495, doi: 0.1002/2013GL058799 .
- Hill J., Popova E.E., Ham D.A., Piggott M.D. & Srokosz M.A. 2014 Adapting to life: ocean biogeochemical modelling and adaptive remeshing, Ocean Sci., 10, 323-343.
Science and religion publications
- Srokosz M.A. 2008 'God's story and the Earth's story: grounding our concern for the environment in the biblical metanarrative' Science and Christian Belief, 20, 163-174.
- Srokosz M.A. 2013 'Humility: a neglected scientific virtue?' Science and Christian Belief, 25, 101-112.
- Srokosz M. 2014 Geo-engineering or planet hacking? Perspec. Sci. Christian Faith, 66, 213-220.